Hello, from the new Devon who survived Furyborn and is currently dying while reading Kingsbane. This series is one of my new fantasy favorites, and to be honest I didn’t think I would be able to write an actual review without fangirling for four full pages, raging for another ten, and then incoherently rambling for fifteen more about the crazy plots, writing style, and characters.
So, I decided to share my live reactions instead. This way you can all experience the emotional rollercoaster ride that was my first experience with Furyborn. Check out the below for Trello notes, some live tweets, Goodreads updates and a handful of Discord posts between me and the squad (Kal – @Reader Voracious, Jess – @Fiction No Chaser, and Loretta – @Laughing Listener)! And special shoutout for Jess for getting me to drop everything I was reading for Furyborn. It was a good decision.
* Before you start, I want to call out that there are a FEW spoiler-ish things you might see, but as long as you’re past literally page 1 of Furyborn you should be good to go. If you want to go into this story blind, come back to this at a later time! THEN, we can fangirl and rage together. For everyone else…
1. Okay so 0 to 100 in less than 1 page and I’m here for it.
2. The Wolf is hot AF and he hasn’t even taken his mask off yet or said more than, like, one full sentence. All he’s doing is fighting…
3. What’s with the sketch poem about Lu’s family?? I don’t like her. She is too perfect? I will find her evil ways!
4. Remy is the sassiest 12 year old and I love him.
5. This timeline is going to KILL. ME.
6. “I’m just going to keep rolling my eyes until you stop talking.” – BEST. LINE.
7. Simon saying little dread does something to me.
8. This Linnet story…I can’t.
9. OMG THESE TRIALS. Am I watching the Hunger Games remix of Aang (or more like Zuko) from Avatar competing in the Tri-Wizard Tournament? 🤔
10. How is this book making me feel so many things!?!?
11. Omg Rielle is going Magneto status and I love it.
12. #DetectiveDevon on duty.
13. I FREAKING KNEW IT.
14. What does it say about me that I know this is the villain but he is super hot and I love him?
15. ‘This war has claimed the lives and bodies of too many women.” FEMINISM FOR THE MASSES.
16. Everyone in this book is hardcore slytherin and I’m here for it.
17. Have I mentioned Simon? Adding him to my book boyfriend list ASAP.
18. Of course the 12 year old is the smartest person so far.
19. OMFG shit just got REAL up in here.
20. Yup, I ship Simon and Eliana. Move along everyone else.
21. Alright, Lu. You’ve proven yourself. I don’t hate you like I thought I should. You are a true homie.
22. “Kissing involves not just one person, but two. If there is blame to be placed, it isn’t only for you to bear.” YAS QUEEN CLAIRE
23. Omg baby Simon. I can’t. So cute. #Dead
24. I want to hate Corien but I also love him. *Starts Singing*: “…I wanna hate you, ’cause I still love you…”
25. Middle of the night woke up thinking: Rielle is like the Dark Phoenix rising. And if she’s Dark Phoenix, then Eliana is low key Wolverine in the making. I’m ready.
26. ARE YOU SERIOUS? Rule #1 NEVER SEPARATE.
27. I TOTALLY FREAKING CALLED THAT.
28. Baby Simon with Audric and magical beasts warms my heart. Omg. #Dead.
29. Alright, Audric I see you. Daddy vibes going on.
30. Zahra throwing shade at Simon and saying he can’t be trusted makes me question my feelings…but only a little.
31. 100% into Zahra and her ghostly angel vibes.
32. Ludivine out her becoming the next Cinna with her trial outfits.
33. THE FIRE TRIAL. NO. TAL. WHY??
34. Did Rielle really just unknowingly DO THAT? I’m pretty sure she did and I’m pissed at her.
35. NO. NO. NO. NO.
36. Remy is the smartest of the crew and they need to listen to him more often. HE IS THE ONLY RAVENCLAW. LET HIM TELL YOU THINGS.
37. You’ve been lying to me this whole time, Lu?!?!
38. Simon cannot catch a break. Guy needs a drink.
39. “Be still, my wicked black heart.” – ERMAHGERD SIMON.
40. There are so many words and names in this story that I know I am 100% pronouncing incorrectly. I NEED HALP. (Luckily, Loretta is listening to the audiobook. YAY, teamwork.)
41. Reading Rielle’s plot line is like watching two cars driving towards each other knowing they are going to crash…but not being able to do anything about it.
42. NAVI PLEASE BE OKAY.
43. I really need to know Simon’s story. STAT.
44. Okay, so that’s how we’re ending things…Got it.
45. I immediately started to plan a trip to the bookstore to buy Kingsbane because WTF. You can’t just end it that way.
CAUTION SPOILERS AHEAD READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Talk To Me
Have you read Furyborn? Did you love it? Hate it? Will you be adding it to your TBR pile?